I’m excited let you know that the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust have agreed to fund a pilot phase of a free mental health book club for schools. The hope is that if we can prove a demand for, and a positive impact of, the book club then we will be able to secure a sponsor or funding to make the offer sustainable. We’ll be working in partnership with the lovely people at Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
Who is it for?
The book club is primarily aimed at, but not exclusively for, mental health leads in UK primary or secondary schools. If you have a different role, or work with an organisation other than a school and would like to join, you are welcome to do so.
What can I expect?
Once a term you will receive a book and associated resources with the aim of boosting your understanding, skills, confidence or ideas when working to promote or support the mental health of children and young people.
For an idea of the kind of books you can expect, take a look at:
In addition to a termly book we hope to provide accompanying resources / opportunities such as:
- Opportunities to join online discussions with authors and experts
- Ideas for utilising book contents
- Author ‘top tips’ videos or factsheets
- Materials that can be used to cascade the key learnings (e.g. PowerPoint and handouts for a 10-15 minute session in a staff meeting or for sharing on staff intranet)
- Recommendations of further reading and resources
- Recommendations for INSET that could be provided to follow up the book. This would be provided fully funded by the CWMT schools team in the usual way
- The opportunity to host / attend a relevant cluster INSET session
When will I get my first book?
We hope to achieve the critical mass need to share our first book by Christmas 2016 – or sooner if you help to spread the word.
What do you expect from me?
Before we dispatch each book club title, we’ll ask you to opt in to receive the new title. This will ensure we spend the charity’s funds most usefully and are not sending titles that are or less interest or to people no longer in post.
For each book you receive, we will also ask you to complete a short online survey to help us assess the impact that the book and associated resources has had on your skills, understanding and confidence. Please take the few minutes needed to share this feedback as it will be fundamental to securing ongoing funding for the book club and also in helping us to share the most impactful books and resources.
This sounds too good to be true
Yes. I know.. but it is true! And did you know that we provide fully funded staff, student and parent workshops and training on a range of mental health issues too?
Sign me up…
[gravityform id=”12″ name=”Join CWMT’s Free Mental Health Book Club” title=”false” description=”false”]